Composition research...




It has been a sad week here in Paris, things are different lately and it feels like it will stay like that. But how could Paris or the french ever change? We should't worry about that, they are too traditional and stubborn. I also realize how much I like my town and country, this has become my home after all. But this blog is not for any subject so I better get focused...
... this week I have in particular tried to make my students understand the importance of composition researches before painting. We usually start with the most obvious and less original possibility regarding the composition. But you can avoid this with an exercise. Good ideas come with a little research, by sketching different compositions. Keep them small and simple. Sometimes I let myself into details when doing these sketches, but that's not necessary. Only values and flat shapes are enough. You should also avoid equal quantities of darks, mid tones and light. Keep one of the three for small quantities or just accents to make contrast. Use the grid of thirds and try to include diagonals or lines and any point of view or distance. It can also help you to plan your soft or sharp edges and find the points of interest or focal point areas with or without contrast etc.


Comments

  1. Hi Helen ! Your thumbnail sketches are very inspiring. I'm currently struggling to come back to art and visiting your blog does help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ghislaine!!! Sounds silly maybe, but I thought of you lately and wondered what you're up to lately. You were one of the first persons who started following my blog. Thank you for being here still!
    I hope you will pick up painting again and that you are doing fine otherwise!
    I wish you a lovely new year 2016!
    Warmest regards,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment